The college was upgraded to Taiwan Provincial Cheng Kung University in 1956, showing its higher research capacity
Given that talent cultivation is the key to national development, NCKU decided that managerial skills must be included along with existing engineering technology in the university’s education. In 1953, the university began to seriously consider establishing new departments and colleges as part of its overall improvement plan. In 1955, departments of Business Administration, Transportation and Communication Management Science, Accountancy, and Statistics were set up one after the other, collectively within the College of Business. In 1956, the originally required common courses, Chinese Literature, Mathematics, and Physics, were established as three departments, under the College of Arts and Science. Thus, NCKU has been moving toward a comprehensive university.
Setting up new colleges and departments was proved to be critical to NCKU’s elevated status and continual improvement in its research capacity at that time. Many more eminent professors and gifted students had been attracted to the university. For example, Prof. Xue-Lin Su, a very distinguished scholar, was invited by the Dept. of Chinese Literature to teach students, whilst the Dept. of Physics was able to recruit some outstanding students, like Paul Chu Ching-Wu, who were to become top tech talent in Taiwan. The Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literature also recruited a few very gifted students, such as Ying-Tai Lung and Diane Yin. The top talent and high achievers developed in different departments at NCKU have left a long-lasting impact on many industries in Taiwan.
In 1956, Taiwan Provincial College of Engineering was upgraded to Taiwan Provincial Cheng Kung University, and the motto of the former Provincial College of Engineering: “seek for truth, toil for good” was inscribed (by the handwriting of then President Chiang Kai-Shek) on the white gate arch. It has become a memorable symbol for NCKU since.
The white gate arch shown in the upgraded ceremony in 1956 (Picture by courtesy of the National Cheng Kung University Museum)
The inscription “seek for truth, toil for good” granted by President Chiang Kai-Shek (Picture by courtesy of the National Cheng Kung University Museum)