Official document sent by President Shih-An Want to National Resources Commission in 1948 (Provided by the NCKU Museum)

1946

Factory internship system shapes NCKU’s pragmatic style of study

In 1945, the two atomic bombs detonated over Hiroshima and Nagasaki expedited the end of WWII, brought Japan’s 50 years of rule over Taiwan to an end, and also ended the days of conflagration that persisted late in WWII.

In January 1946, the Taiwan Provincial Administrative Executive Office hired Dr. Shih-An Wang to come to Taiwan and take over Tainan Technical College. He became the first post-war president, which was a difficult job, for many of the college’s buildings and equipment had been destroyed. The new school song conveyed their vision for the future, in which the atomic age would bring new changes every day and sophisticated academic study; people would take over heaven’s duties, create a myriad of treasures, love one another, and all prosper. President Shih-An Wang rebuilt the college’s buildings, purchased teaching and research equipment, and temporarily retained the Japanese teachers. At the same time, he frequently traveled to Beijing and Shanghai to hire professional teachers and restore Taiwan’s top technical college. As a result, Tainan Technical College was successfully upgraded to Taiwan Provincial College of Engineering in December.

In addition, to help students balance theory and practice, collaborations were established with the industry in the summer of 1946. In 1948, President Shih-An Wang sent an official request to the National Resources Commission to have all industrial and mining organizations under its jurisdiction, such as the Taiwan Railway Administration, Taipower Company, Taiwan Sugar Corporation, and Taiwan Fertilizer Company, offer internships to students. The Office of Academic Affairs set up the Off-campus Internship Division to take charge of relevant matters, and this shaped the pragmatic spirit of NCKU in the future.

In 1951, a detailed off-campus internship program was drafted, requiring students to intern at organizations off-campus for at least 6 months before graduating. They had to write daily internship reports and submit them weekly to be reviewed by instructors designated to each internship venue. With time, the required duration of internships was adjusted; however, this enabled students to experience different industries while still a student and establish good relationships with internship organizations. Some could even be recruited before they graduated. Today, NCKU is gradually transforming into a top research university. Its pragmatic spirit in conjunction with its professional research attitude has laid down the foundation for NCKUers to become corporate favorites.

Engineering students interning at electric machinery factory (Provided by the NCKU Museum)

Engineering students interning at electric machinery factory (Provided by the NCKU Museum)

Summer internship of Department of Mechanical Engineering (Provided by NCKU Black and White Photography Club)

Assists in establishment of CNS Standards and lays foundation for industrial development

1947

arrow-right