Assists in establishment of CNS Standards and lays foundation for industrial development
The Central Bureau of Standards under the Ministry of Economic Affairs is in charge of standardization in Taiwan. They issued the Regulations Governing the Establishment of National Standards to regulate metrology, national standards, and patent inspection in Taiwan. After the retrocession of Taiwan, Japanese standards were being used in Taiwan, which were different from Chinese standards. The disarray of measurement standards reflected a pressing need for consistent national standards, which became the most urgent task for the Central Bureau of Standards in 1947.
Every day without standards exerted a significant impact on people’s lives and various industries. Just as the Central Bureau of Standards was in desperate need of professional industrial talent, the teachers at the Taiwan Provincial College of Engineering came to the rescue. Many professors in fields such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, mining and metallurgy, and civil engineering, including Shih-An Wang, Da-Jun Qing, Chen-Chiu Ma, and Yun-Ping Lo, played crucial roles in the establishment of the CNS Standards needed for national industrial progress.
With the help of the many, the 12th issue of “Standards” was successfully released in late 1950. This was also the first publication made by the Central Bureau of Standards after printing resumed in Taiwan. The standards included 179 national standards in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, agriculture, mining and metallurgy, and civil engineering and became crucial standards for Taiwan’s industrial and economic development.
Chinese industrial standards (CNS) No. 1 issued on June 6, 1944 (Provided by Ching-Hui Chu)
Chinese process standard conversion table (CNS) No.37 issued in May, 1950 (Provided by Ching-Hui Chu)
The 12th issue of “Standards”, the first publication made by the Central Bureau of Standards after printing resumed in Taiwan, released in December 1950 (Provided by Ching-Hui Chu)